Monday, July 16, 2012

Smoked Dutchman

Happy Monday everyone.

Since Mondays are generally associated with such a dismal feeling, I decided to create something a little whimsical, refreshing and complex.  I kind of went overboard with this one.  Anyway, I went to Osteria Mozza last night for dinner and had their Dutchman -a cocktail consisting of Gin, ginger syrup, grapefruit juice and Angostura bitters.  While it was good, it was a little sweet for me.  When I got home from work today, I was inspired to put my own little spin on this wee beverage.



So the first thing I did was make myself a ginger syrup.  Pretty simple:
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped and smacked-with-a-clever ginger disks
Boil all ingredients in a sauce pot, remove once boiled and allow syrup to cool.  After it's cooled down significantly, use a funnel and sieve to bottle.


While the syrup was cooling, I decided to use my smoker and smoke the grapefruit before juicing it.  I used apple ceder and smoked half a grapefruit for about 20 minutes at 275 degrees (please note the smoker took 15-20 minutes to preheat).  I wouldn't smoke the grapefruit for too long since you still have to juice it.  After about 20 minutes, it should omit a nice fragrance and be slightly browned on the top.  I kept the grapefruit in the smoker for about 15 extra minutes while I bottled the syrup and prepared my other ingredients for the drink so it would absorb the residual smoke. 


Now that I've completed my ginger syrup and smoked grapefruit juice, it's time to mix!  Recipe as follows:

  • 2 oz dry London gin
  • 1 oz smoked grapefruit juice
  • 1/2 oz ginger syrup
  • 3 dashes of Angostura bitters
  • A couple drops of liquid smoke (for added aroma and flavor)
  • Thick piece of grapefruit zest for garnish

In a old fashioned glass, combine all the liquid ingredients.  Add 3-4 large ice cubes and stir for about 40 rotations.  The outside of the glass should begin to build a film of condensation.  You can add more liquid smoke to adjust the smokiness.  But please, do not add more than a teaspoon.  You'll bitter the entire drink, in a not-so-awesome way.  Once you've acquired the flavor desired, add the grapefruit zest and voila!  A Smoked Dutchman everyone.  Cheers.


Tasting Notes

Dominant Flavors: Smoke and dryness from the Gin

Texture: smooth

Flavor Intricacy: High

Contrast Flavor: Citrus from the Grapefruit

Finish: Smokey, sweet and a little bitter

Recommendation:  This drink is slightly heavy.  I would recommend this for people who like the flavors of Laphroaig and Mezcal.


More to come everyone!  Thanks for reading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment