Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Apple Bitters


I'm not going to pretend like I know how to mix and create bitters recipes just yet.  I'll gladly admit that I am not ready to venture down that avenue.  Therefore, I decided to make homemade bitters using Brad Thomas Parson's recipe for Apple Bitters.  The recipe calls for:

  • Peels from 6 medium to large apples
  • Zest of 1/2 a lemon, cut into strips with a paring knife
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries (whole)
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cassia chips 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinchona bark
  • 4 cloves
  • 2 cups high-proof bourbon, or more
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons rich syrup


Some of the herbs and spices required to create Brad's bitters are downright out of the ordinary.  Not to worry, I ordered all my spices from an online botanical store called the Dandelion Botanical Company.  They'll carry everything you need.  The order took a total of about 10 days to process, ship and deliver.


When all the ingredients have been gathered, place them all in a quart sized sealable jar (sans the syrup and the water.  They will be invited to play in a fortnight) and pour the high-proof bourbon into the jar until the solids are submerged.  The recipe calls for 2 cups, but I used about 4/5 of the entire bottle (tip: do not use a high-grade expensive bottle of bourbon.  I used Wild Turkey 101 proof -750ml for $20).


Presto!  Now store the jar out of the sun at room temperature for 2 weeks.  Please note you'll be required to shake the jar once a day for the two week "sitting" period.

That's it for now.  I'll be back with Apple Bitters part II after two weeks.  In the interim, I'm tempted to create my first cocktail tonight.  I'll see how it goes.

Stay tuned!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment