Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Beatrix Potter

As promised to myself, I would try and concoct an original tonight; and I did.  I've decided to call this thing "Beatrix Potter."  My boyfriend had the first sip and immediately said, we should name it after Beatrix Potter.  So I did name it after the upper class mycologist turned artistic children's book author.  "Why," you ask?  "Why not," I ask you. 

The drink, essentially, is a different approach to one that I've had many times at clubs and dive bars -the Chambord Sour which is made by bartenders blindly pouring Chambord and Midori Sour together in a glass of ice.  I've taken the traditional sour route by adding an egg white as an aerating agent.


The "pop" accent flavor I decided to add is a rosemary infused vodka I made earlier in the day.  I took four rosemary springs, smacked them with a cleaver to release their natural essence and combined them with two cups of vodka in a small sauce pot.  I brought the mixture to a boil and removed the pot from the heat immediately and allowed it to cool before re-bottling with the rest of the vodka.  The rosemary flavor definitely stuck and I was extremely happy with the result.


The recipe is as follows:

  • 2 ounces of Chambord
  • 1 ounce of freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2 ounce rosemary infused vodka
  • 4 dashes of Peychaud's bitters
  • Rosemary for garnish

Combine the Chambord, lime juice, egg white and vodka in a cocktail shaker.  Dry shake for 10-15 seconds.  Add ice cubes (ideally 1 inch by 1 inch cubes) to the shaker and continuously shake until your hands freeze or you're just too tired to go on.  That's when you know your beverage is cold enough to serve.  Using a julep strainer, pour the mixture into a chilled classic coupe glass.  Gently dash four drops of bitters on the top (the design is up to your personal interpretation).  Pick a small sprig of rosemary and place it in the center.  Voila!


Tasting Notes

Dominant Flavors: sweetness of the Chambord and tart from the lime juice

Texture: Creamy, Rich texture

Flavor Intricacy: Medium

Contrast Flavor: Rosemary

Finish: Sweet

Recommendation: The drink is on the sweeter side with  no dryness at all. 
                     I can see many girls ordering and liking this drink.

Ladies and gentlemen, Beatrix Potter.  

Cheers and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment