Monday, January 7, 2013

Ye Olde Nut

Hey ya'll.  It's been absolutely way too long.  I shant bore you with any of the details of where I've been.  Let's just call it a quick sabbatical from the blog world.  Well I've been making my rounds, yet again, in the world of mixology.  In my absence, I've refined my tastes a bit and I think I'm going to be creating some pretty awesome drinks for you.  Here's one variation of the Old Fashioned.  I call it 'Ye Olde Nut' because I use old styled Cognac and toasted pecan bitters.  Here ye' go!


  • 2 oz. Pierre Ferrand Cognac (I used Ambre.  But the 1840 is also very good for this cocktail)
  • 1 cube of brown sugar
  • 5-7 dashes of toasted pecan bitters 
  • Orange zest for garnish

Grab yourself a doubled old fashioned glass.  Put the brown sugar cube in and soak with 5-7 dashes of toasted pecan bitters (I made mine by you can purchase it if need be).  Allow the cube to soak for a few moments.  Use a muddler and mash the crap out of the sugar cube until what's left is a pasty brown syrup.  Add your 2 oz. of Cognac at this point.  Pop in a cube of ice (I got sphere ice molds for a Christmas gift so I utilized a piece of sphere ice here) and stir about 40-45 times.  As always, make sure the condensation appears on the outside of the glass.  Take a piece of orange zest, squeeze the oils from the rind into the beverage and wipe the rim of the glass with the actual zest.  Place on the rim for an aromatic effect.  Voila, enjoy this lovely variation on the classic Old Fashioned.



Tasting Notes

Dominant Flavors: Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac has aromas of fruit so it's light and aromatic

Texture:Smooth

Flavor Intricacy: Medium

Contrast Flavor: Nuttiness/Savory-ness from the Pecan bitters

Finish: Sweet and nutty

Recommendation:  Though the description depicts this drink as a bit "sweet," it's actually quite boozy.  Definitely for those people who like bourbon drinks and aren't afraid to taste it

Happy New Year everyone.  Hopefully this'll be a start to a chain of different drinks to come.  Please stay tuned and I'll be around, for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment